R-Series appliances allow Asterisk users and integrators to build fully redundant communications systems. R-Series devices handle the physical redirection of PSTN circuits in the event of a catastrophic hardware or software failure. Tightly integrated with monitoring and resource management software, the R-Series can switch PSTN traffic within seconds of a service interruption. A pair of Asterisk-based servers, cross-connected through an R-Series appliance can achieve 99.99% availability at a fraction of the cost of other redundant communications solutions. The R800 provides failover capabilities for analog circuits.
The R800 appliance provides failover capabilities for analog (POTS) circuits. Lines from the telephone company are terminated to the R800, which then delivers service to Digium interface ports on the active server.
In the event of a hardware or software fault on primary, the R800 redirects all circuits to the backup. Control signaling is handled via USB ports which also provide power to the R800, saving energy over the lifetime of the appliance.
The R800, combined with a clustered primary and standyby Asterisk servers, provides a fully redundant communications solution. Lines from the telephone company are terminated to the R800, which then delivers service to Digium interface ports on the active server. Third-party applications monitor the health of the primary server and provide mirroring of the Asterisk config files.
In the event of a hardware or software failure on the primary Asterisk Server, it will be removed from the cluster and the R-Series appliance is instructed to move the PSTN circuits to the standby. The standby server assumes the role of primary server within seconds, and without loss of services such as voice mail, phone registrations, etc.
Documentation for R800 Failover Appliance
- 8-Port Analog Failover Appliance
- Supports eight (8) public switched telephone (PSTN) circuits
- Supported Analog Boards: TDM410, TDM800, TDM2400, Hybrid Cards (Analog)
- Size: 1.72 x 5.84 x 15 inches
- Weight: 3lb 5.4oz
- Style: 1U Rack mount (brackets included)
- Temperature: 0 to 50° C (32 to 122° F) operation; -20 to 70° C (4 to 158° F) storage
- Humidity: 10 to 90% non-condensing
- Warranty: One (1) year parts and labor, Digium Exceptional Satisfaction Program (ESP)
- Automatic failover solution may require the use of two (2) USB flash drives (not included)